The Holy Spirit of God is leading me to do more through the Internet than usual.
Christians saved but not empowered.
Charles Finney taught about how Christians could be saved, but not empowered. That they could have the peace that came from being saved, but not the Spiritual Power to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. Or, more importantly, defeat the schemes of the Devil in Spiritual Warfare.
What is this Power?
Well, I look at my own Testimony and see the examples in my life. This is just a few.
- Healing my daughter of a hot oil scald.
- Being able to strongly influence others in a Church and its Community.
- Being able to give up all in order to serve my Lord after His appearance to me. Chosen by Jesus – It was in 1984. I was watching Top of the Pops on a Thursday night and as I sat there in a fog of despondency, I clearly heard a voice tell me to go upstairs to my bedroom. There, in a bright ghostly image, Jesus asked me, “Are you really serious?” What a shock, I sank to my knees and did not know what to do, so I just answered, “Yes, Lord!”
- Having advanced warnings of several events and visions of future works of the Lord.
- Sent overseas to help a Missionary Society.
- Bringing a child to the Lord at a US Army Base in Germany.
- Called to the top of a Swiss mountain, the Belchenflue, and given a message from God himself.
- Given a prophecy that was from the Holy Spirit of God. The late Rev. Ken Newton from Australia was to be a blessing to me for a second time with an unexpected message in 1987. In the years since, I have seen how marvellously God has worked through him! His help this time came during a lesson when he called me and my wife out to the front and gave us a message that is hard to believe: God had given him a picture of my wife and I bound together with elastic bands. These were because we would become separated, but the bands would stretch and not allow us to be parted. Then the bands would bring us back together again. I was to give God first claim on my time – to be obedient – to allow Jesus complete ownership of me – to widen my vision of ourselves, which was too narrow – I was to use my Gifts – Then God would raise us up nearer to Him. He placed his hand on my shoulder and I fell to the floor. As I made my way back to my seat, I was staggering as if drunk.
- Being asked to help by a dying friend and thanked by her husband who also thanked God for my ministry.
- Able to start a car engine that had no fuel pump. It was to strengthen the faith of a Christian.
- Able to calm the sea to save a man and his dog from drowning.
- Able to control the weather. At one time as a sign to a couple of married Christians who need it.
- Receiving direct help from my Lord Jesus when in personal trouble.
- Able to stand firm when the Devil confronted me and then preach the Gospel of Jesus to him. (See my video)
- Educated by the Holy Spirit to enable me to carry out my ministry.
God Interested in Sparkbrook, Birmingham, England?
In 1992/93, The Holy Spirit of God used both Rev. Ken Newton from Australia and I, to guide and encourage Christians in an inner-city church in Sparkbrook. This without each of us knowing we would be used this way. God does work in mysterious ways.
I had received an encouraging letter from this minister that was used by the Holy Spirit to get me to start using my gifts again. One day while in prayer I was told to go to this small church that I had not been to before. I shared with the pastor what I believed the Lord wanted me to do and offered him my services, which he was grateful to have.
One day the pastor called unexpectedly to my home, we did not know each other, so we discussed my testimony for a couple of hours. Indeed, he was very encouraging and the Holy Spirit helped a few of the congregation through my ministry including himself and his wife for whom I was given an important message regarding their future ministry.
Several months later the Holy Spirit told me to go back to them. As we walked towards the church one of my daughters commented on how God works unexpectedly. I certainly was not aware of the unexpected events that were to follow. During the service, it was announced that the minister from Australia was to be at the church on the next Tuesday evening.
On that evening he arrived and ministered to many people in the congregation, informing them of what God wanted them to do. He especially helped the pastor and his wife; giving them a message that confirmed the one, I had given them.
Afterwards he sat down and looked extremely tired commenting on how he had attended 110 meetings in 111 days. The leaders prayed for him with no effect.
I went over and took his hand telling him whom I was. He thought for a moment, and then remembering who I was he jumped up full of life once more. He was very happy to see us, especially the girls whom he had never met. He went over to them and asked them to support their Mum and Dad.
Over the next few weeks, I tried to encourage those who had been helped, but was not able to.
Never the less, at one service I was filled with the Holy Spirit in a way I had not been before and the Lord Jesus Himself spoke through me of their need to get right with Him in order for Gods’ will to be done in helping their local community.
The Leader and his wife left that church soon after.
I do not condemn them or that Church as I do not know all the facts and it’s not for me to judge them, that is for the Lord to do. I just pray for them that they will do the will of God through obedience to the Lord Jesus’ teachings.
However, there is a warning to all Christians who are not showing Holy Spirit Power in their life. Matthew 13:57 And they took offence at him. But Jesus said to them, ‘A prophet is not without honour except in his own town and in his own home.’ 58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.
How much has my City of Birmingham lost out these past 30 years through the Christians lack of faith in the Power of the Holy Spirit of God that comes from true discipleship of the Lord Jesus Christ.
John 14:23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. [these are true disciples]
24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. [These are not true disciples]
[Who says So?] These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.”
Saved, but not empowered.
Remember what the Lord Jesus promises those who he empowers. John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”