19th January 2018 mikehill4jesus “What is the true Church part 4 – Jesus Saving Sinners”
Linked to an mp3 audio podcast (36.16)
A series of Blogs about the doctrine of the true Church.
John 14:23 Jesus replied, ‘Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them [True Christians]. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching [These people operate the many variations of Churchianity]. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.’
Jesus Saving Sinners
Matthew 1:21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[a] because he will save his people from their sins.’
[a] Matthew 1:21 Jesus is the Greek form of Joshua, which means the Lord saves.
I have been witnessing for my Lord and Saviour since 1977 – 40 long years – and must have reached millions of people with my testimony and teaching about “Living with God and Defeating the Devil”. YET, out of the estimated 2.2 billion professing Christians, I do not have a single one as a social friend or supporter. This despite the command of the Lord Jesus to those who claim to belong to Him through His Gospel.
John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Why is this? Well, either they are not in love with Him, so refuse to obey Him, or they have been misled by the Christless Christians described in John 14:24.
This a part of Finney’s Sermon, hence the old English
The Oberlin Evangelist.
April 25, 1849
JESUS, A SAVIOR FROM SINNING
Sermon by Prof. C.G. Finney
Reported by The Editor.
“Thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save his people from their sins.” –Matt. 1:21.
In discussing fundamentally the subject presented in the text, it is pertinent to remark,
I. That salvation from sin is the great want of humanity. On this point there can be no mistake. Whatever else may be controverted or denied, this cannot be. Universal observation combines with universal consciousness to attest that this is a stubborn fact–salvation from sin is the great want of our sinning race. Nothing is more true than that as a race, men are sinners. All men know each other to be sinners, and of course what all know to be true of each one, and what each one knows to be true of all, must be a matter of universal knowledge.
I said, whatever else is true or is not true, this is true;–that men need salvation from sin. The reason of this need is that they are sinners, and as sinners, they are utterly lost to happiness, unless they can be saved from their sins. No man can be honest and yet deny this. This one truth is forever settled and known by all men.
By being saved from sin I do not mean pardon; for every man knows that pardon, without salvation from sinning, would not really save; for if a man were pardoned, but were still given up to the working of his sinful passions and selfish spirit, he would make for himself a hell even in heaven; nay more, it is undoubtedly true that heaven would be the severest form of hell to the unsaved in heart. There can be no heaven without holiness, and the change from sin to such holiness as fits for heaven is exceedingly great. A world of selfish beings thrown together anywhere would be unutterably miserable.
1. Many have hope who are not really saved in any proper sense of the word. They are neither saved from sin now, nor will they be saved from hell hereafter.
2. No one has reason to hope for heaven any further than he is really saved from sin.
3. They who possess the religion of the gospel and yet are not sanctified, virtually bring up an evil report against the gospel. They say,–“I am a Christian, but I know that I am not saved from sin. I embrace a gospel which professes to save from sin, you see in me how much its professions are worth.” What must be the influence of such a testimony?
4. When a Christian commits himself to Jesus to save from sin, it is well for him to use this argument in prayer; “Lord, it will dishonor Thee if Thou dost not save me from all sin. I have trusted in Thee; I do now take hold of thy promises; let them be fulfilled in my case, and let all men seeing what thy grace has done for me, know thy salvation.”
5. Some seem not to have in view Christ’s honor, but their own. They think they shall disgrace themselves if they do not overcome temptation; but they do not feel that the greatest evil of all is that they will thus dishonor Christ.
6. If any man will believe, he shall see no other difficulty. No obstacle can possibly be in his way to shut off the power of the gospel from his soul, when once he has embraced the sinner’s Savior by a living faith.
7. The great difficulty now is for the Savior to persuade men to believe, and to cast themselves on him by a perpetual self-renunciation and a perpetual dependence. Let me ask you, my hearers, how many of you can testify that this is the case with yourselves:–that in your own individual case, Jesus has to your certain knowledge been laboring to present himself before you in such inviting forms as should inspire faith in Himself; but he has labored almost, or perhaps altogether in vain.
8. Half-way believers are the greatest stumbling-blocks in religion. They profess to embrace Christ, and to be religious, and yet fail of having grace enough to overcome sin. O! if they would only embrace Jesus, so as to be full of his Spirit, how greatly would they honor their Lord! As it is, how earthly-minded, sensual, and devilish do they become! No wonder they are ashamed to say that Jesus is a Savior from sin. How can they bear such testimony without reading themselves out of the pale of the heirs of heaven?
This teaching is clear, yet we humans, even when claiming to be a Christian, a follower of Christ, still desire to live in Sin!
THOSE WHO CLAIM TO BE CHRISTIAN, BUT REFUSE TO STOP SINNING, NEVER LIVE AS DESCRIBED BY GOD IN JOHN 14:23, BUT CONTINUE AS HE DESCRIBES IN JOHN 14:24
This is a link to Mike Hill’s Testimony – His Life With God 1948 to 2017
These first two links are to Films that use the Bible Text and Storyline with quality actors and actresses. They are not like the old Hollywood Films.
You can see my past Thoughts
These are links to information that you can choose to study if you want to
NOW IS THE TIME TO GET RIGHT WITH THE LOVING AND POWERFUL LORD JESUS WHILE YOU CAN – YOUR TIME IS RUNNING OUT!